(fwd) Re: su-ing a user remotely

Andrey Gerzhov (kittle@freeland.kiev.ua)
Thu, 4 Nov 1999 14:01:23 +0200 (EET)

-- forwarded message --
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 1999 23:54:42 +0200
From: Harold Gutch <logix@foobar.franken.de>
To: Mark <maxiter@inetu.net>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject: Re: su-ing a user remotely
Newsgroups: alex.gated.freebsd.hackers

On Wed, Oct 27, 1999 at 04:55:30PM -0400, Mark wrote:

> I'm looking for a tool which I think I'll have to end up making myself.
>
> What I'm looking for.... Let's say there are two logins on a FreeBSD
> machine. On ttyp0 is root, and user fred is logged in on ttyp1. Fred
> can't su to root because he's not in wheel, and he doesn't/won't know the
> root pass. Assuming I'm logged in a root, I'd like to be able to "bless"
> fred from my ttyp0 and 'upgrade' his login to root.
>
> Is this feasible or programatically realistic? Is there such a tool?
> What would need to get changed to make this happen?

A friend of mine shortly ago mentioned a tool he wrote some time
ago that would scan /dev/kmem for a process with a specific PID
and change the UID of this process to whatever value you wanted
it to be.

You can get it from:
ftp://ftp.42.org/pub/FreeBSD/presto-1.1.tar.gz

Using it you should be able to change this the UID of fred's
loginshell, which should accomplish what you are looking for.

bye,
Harold

--
<Shabby> Sleep is an abstinence syndrome wich occurs due to lack of caffein.
Wed Mar  4 04:53:33 CET 1998   #unix, ircnet