(fwd) Re: cvs commit: src/sys/i386/i386 identcpu.c src/sys/i386/include cputypes.h

Andrey Gerzhov (kittle@freeland.alex-ua.com)
Sat, 6 Feb 1999 18:28:50 +0200 (EET)

-- forwarded message --
To: grog@lemis.com
Subject: Re: cvs commit: src/sys/i386/i386 identcpu.c src/sys/i386/include cputypes.h
From: KATO Takenori <kato@ganko.eps.nagoya-u.ac.jp>
Date: Fri, 05 Feb 1999 10:27:33 +0900
Newsgroups: alex.gated.cvs.all

Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com> wrote:

> What about pirated CPU packaging? I would have thought that it could
> be quite instructive to show what the silicon thinks it is.

Old code did not help to find pirated CPU. To find real CPU speed of
Pentium II, we need to measure the transfer speed between core and L2
cahce. Old and current code do not measure it. So, my commit is not
downgrade. If you need what silicon thinks, you may find information
from BIOS at start-up. Also, you can obtain Intel's manual via ftp
and can compare `Id = 0x6XX' message from kernel with Intel's manual.
I didn't delete this information. Alternatively, you can find the
same information as Intel's manual from Sandpile:

http://www.sandpile.org/80x86/