(fwd) Re: Q: ISDN, SMP and Threads

Alex Kravets (alex@freeland.alexradio.kiev.ua)
Fri, 6 Jun 1997 15:58:07 +0300 (EEST)

-- forwarded message --
Newsgroups: comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc
From: causse@sphynx.fdn.fr (Philippe Causse)
Subject: Re: Q: ISDN, SMP and Threads
Date: Thu, 22 May 1997 19:47:00 GMT

bernd knochenhauer (bernd.knochenhauer@materna.de) wrote:
: Hi,

: just a short question: currently I'm using Linux 2.x and I'm thinking
: about giving FreeBSD a try. So I'd like to know a few things before
: I actually install FreeBSD:

: 1. Does it support SMP ? (I got dual Pentium Box)
Yes. Check the URL of this great FreeBSD hacker:
-------------[quoted text]----------
Andreas Klemm | klemm.gtn.com - powered by
Symmetric MultiProcessor FreeBSD
http://www.freebsd.org/~fsmp/SMP/SMP.html
http://www.freebsd.org/~fsmp/SMP/benches.html
-------------[end of quotation]-----

: 2. Is there a kernel-level thread package for FreeBSD ?
I believe there's ongoing work on hybrid (half kernel, half user) threads.
Right now, the pthreads library (user-space) compiles right out-of-the-tar
and worked perfectly finei for me. Do you really need kernel threads ?
Most syscalls have been wrapped with a thread-safe equivalent.

: 3. Does it support ISDN devices ?
Lots of people use it, so it should be supported !
(though I never gave it a try)

This is old information from 2.1.5-RELEASE's handbook:

13.5. ISDN

Contributed by Hellmuth Michaelis <hm@kts.org>.

There is the bisdn ISDN package available from ftp.muc.ditec.de
supporting FreeBSD 2.1R, FreeBSD-current and NetBSD.

Currently all (passive) Teles cards and their clones are supported for
the EuroISDN (DSS1) and 1TR6 protocols.

The latest source can be found on the above mentioned ftp server under
directory isdn as file bisdn-096.tar.gz.

A majordomo maintained mailing list is available, to subscribe, send
the usual majordomo requests to isdn-request@muc.ditec.de.

Surely better support in more recent versions :-)

: Thanks for letting me know.

: Bernd

--
P. Causse			http://www.fdn.fr/~pcausse