(fwd) Staroffice 5.1 on 3.3-RELEASE (how I ended up getting it to work)

Andrey Gerzhov (kittle@freeland.kiev.ua)
Sat, 23 Oct 1999 14:30:17 +0300 (EEST)

-- forwarded message --
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 1999 13:44:47 -0400 (EDT)
From: Robert Watson <robert@cyrus.watson.org>
To: mcglk@serv.net
Subject: Staroffice 5.1 on 3.3-RELEASE (how I ended up getting it to work)
Newsgroups: alex.gated.freebsd.hackers

This morning I decided to install Staroffice 5.1 on one of my 3.3-RELEASE
machines -- previously I had only used the StarDivision version of
StarOffice, and only on 4.0. Needless to say, I ran into some bumps, but
I figured I'd let people know how I ended up getting it working for me
based on plain&simple 3.3-RELEASE, and so that you could put updates on
your page if you liked.

I largely followed the directions found at:

http://www.serv.net/~mcglk/staroffice-install.html

which assume 3.2-RELEASE.

The differences were that:

1) I skipped the modifications to libosl517li.so, as they caused the
infinite setup problem described previously (wherein once a user install
is performed, the user is always put back into Setup and prompted to
Repair or Deinstall instead of running the Office package).

2) I used ./setup /net to do a central installation, meaning that the
default user install is only around 1.7mb instead of the 7mb via the
symlink approach, or the 160mb if you actually install it all in each
user's directory.

Also, I found that the advice to move the 'Fun & More' directory resulted
in StarOffice whining about being unable to install files it expected to
find, so I left them as they were -- it breaks shell interaction with the
files for users who don't know what they're up against, but works fine in
the GUI, so...

I have not yet figured out how to get rid of the two warning messages at
startup, which are irritating but appear not to actually break anything.

Robert N M Watson

robert@fledge.watson.org http://www.watson.org/~robert/
PGP key fingerprint: AF B5 5F FF A6 4A 79 37 ED 5F 55 E9 58 04 6A B1