(fwd) Re: Vinum questions?

Andrey Gerzhov (kittle@freeland.alex-ua.com)
Sat, 20 Mar 1999 01:49:08 +0200 (EET)

-- forwarded message --
From: Philip Kizer <pckizer@nostrum.com>
To: Brad Knowles <blk@skynet.be>
Subject: Re: Vinum questions?
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 08:26:14 -0600
Newsgroups: alex.gated.freebsd.stable

Brad Knowles <blk@skynet.be> wrote:
> All devices /dev/da1c through /dev/da9c exist (and so far as I know
>are valid), and I can pull disklabels off these devices (although I seem
>to be unable to write disklabels, so I can't add a partition other than
>"c" that I could use with vinum).

That sounds like a problem. Trying to follow the instructions I did the
following:

o disklabel -e /dev/da1c ; disklabel -e /dev/da2c such that I now have:
o disklabel -r /dev/da1c | tail -3
# size offset fstype [fsize bsize bps/cpg]
c: 17767827 0 unused 0 0 # (Cyl. 0 - 1105*)
e: 17767827 0 unused 0 0 # (Cyl. 0 - 1105*)
disklabel -r /dev/da2c | tail -3
# size offset fstype [fsize bsize bps/cpg]
c: 17767827 0 unused 0 0 # (Cyl. 0 - 1105*)
e: 17767827 0 unused 0 0 # (Cyl. 0 - 1105*)

I then did a 'vinum create /etc/vinum.conf' with the following config file:

# Available drives
drive drive1 device /dev/da1e
drive drive2 device /dev/da2e
# Volume to hold /usr/local
volume software
plex org concat
sd length 512m drive drive1
plex org concat
sd length 512m drive drive2
# Volume to hold spool files
volume spool
plex org concat
sd length 8163m drive drive1
plex org concat
sd length 8163m drive drive2

I no longer have the screen capture of the vinum create info, but it currently
looks like this for me:

# vinum l
Configuration summary

Drives: 2 (4 configured)
Volumes: 2 (4 configured)
Plexes: 5 (8 configured)
Subdisks: 5 (16 configured)

D drive1 State: up Device /dev/da1e
D drive2 State: up Device /dev/da2e

V software State: up Plexes: 2 Size: 512 MB
V spool State: up Plexes: 2 Size: 8163 MB

P software.p0 C State: up Subdisks: 1 Size: 512 MB
P software.p1 C State: up Subdisks: 1 Size: 512 MB
P spool.p0 C State: up Subdisks: 1 Size: 8163 MB
P spool.p1 C State: up Subdisks: 1 Size: 8163 MB

S software.p0.s0 State: up PO: 0 B Size: 512 MB
S software.p1.s0 State: up PO: 0 B Size: 512 MB
S spool.p0.s0 State: up PO: 0 B Size: 8163 MB
S spool.p1.s0 State: up PO: 0 B Size: 8163 MB

> Any hints? Maybe the problem is with being unable to disklabel the
>drives? Perhaps someone could give me some pointers on how I might be
>able to successfully force that to happen?

The disklabel would be my first guess too, but I would definitely defer to
those more familiar.

> Finally, while we're at it, I don't suppose anyone has any
>experience with running a softupdates filesystem on top of a vinum
>striped/concatenated volume, do you? Am I dreaming in hoping that
>I'll be able to get these two working together?

Well, mine is obviously mirrored, but why not (I really just did this, so
the tunfs output is cut/paste):

# [ kill various daemons ]
# umount /var/spool
# tunefs -n enable /dev/vinum/spool
tunefs: soft updates set
# mount /var/spool
# [ restart various daemons :) ]

This is actually very good timing for me, I just finished some of my
testing of vinum a few days ago and was about to start a new thread
complimenting vinum. So, I also wanted to take this opportunity to say
what a joy it is to use vinum. It may still be classified as BETA
software, but what it does feels quite stable. What definitely sold me
was when I unplugged one of the drives in my setup while the system was
live and it warned about it and just kept going. Reboot to restore the
drive, and a simple 'vinum start $drive.p1.s0' amazed me with how well
done and easy to recover it is.

-philip