(fwd) Re: DummyNet & Bridging w/ipfw Question (fwd)

Andrey Gerzhov (kittle@freeland.alex-ua.com)
Sat, 9 Jan 1999 14:24:46 +0200 (EET)

-- forwarded message --
From: Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
Subject: Re: DummyNet & Bridging w/ipfw Question (fwd)
To: net@FreeBSD.ORG
Date: Fri, 8 Jan 1999 21:55:50 +0100 (MET)
Newsgroups: alex.gated.freebsd.net

This is going to be a recurrent question lately so maybe a reminder is
worthwhile.

> I have the full version of freeBSD 2.2.8 complete with IPFW and DummyNet
> options installed on a PC acting as a filter and bridge between two
> segments. My last problem to solve is that arp requests are not getting
> sent (in either direction) through the bridge. Unicast packets get sent,

ok i know why. You need to put
option IPFIREWALL_DEFAULT_TO_ACCEPT
in your kernel config, and if you want a closed firewall you put a rule

65534 deny ip from any to any

this is because ipfw is very IP-centric and all non-matching packets
(this includes ARP) are subject to the default rule #65535.

The above solves the problem, waiting for a better solution (in the
form of ipfw extensions to match non-ip packets).

Also note that bridge+ipfw at the moment has some glitches because
of a few missing ntohs() calls on the ip_off field of the IP header
(ipfw expects some fields including this to be in host order).
Symptoms are that packets with a DF bit set are mistaken as fragments
and may match other rules than those intended. A fix (trivial) is
in the works.

cheers
luigi