(fwd) Re: How to Build & Run ELF Kernel

Andrey Gerzhov (kittle@freeland.alex-ua.com)
Sat, 9 Jan 1999 11:55:11 +0200 (EET)

-- forwarded message --
Date: Wed, 6 Jan 1999 11:02:22 -0500 (EST)
From: Alfred Perlstein <bright@hotjobs.com>
To: Ying-Chieh Liao <ijliao@dragon2.net>
Subject: Re: How to Build & Run ELF Kernel
Newsgroups: alex.gated.freebsd.current

On Wed, 6 Jan 1999, Ying-Chieh Liao wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 06, 1999 at 18:20:19 +0300, Joss Roots wrote:
> > any pointers to docs, etc, is highly appreciated
>
> put this in your /etc/make.conf
> KERNFORMAT= elf
>
> then,
> cd /sys/i386/conf ; config -r MYKERNEL ; cd ../../compile/MYKERNEL
> make depend all install

You should also be aware that you need to install the new bootblocks,
after a make world:

disklabel -B -b /boot/boot1 -s /boot/boot2 <disk>

disk is wd0, wd1, sd2 etc..., although could anyone clarify for me if it's
possible just to do update boot1 without messing with the boot sector?

or does disklabel not even really touch that?

-Alfred