(fwd) Oracle work on FreeBSD! (ÂÙÌÏ: SCO OpenServer 5.0 & Oracle)

Andrey Gerzhov (kittle@freeland.alex-ua.com)
Wed, 21 Jan 1998 00:27:59 GMT

-- forwarded message --
Newsgroups: fido.ru.unix.bsd
From: "Pavel A.Severov" <SEVEROV@ekonika.msk.su>
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 98 19:57:56 +0200
Subject: Oracle work on FreeBSD! (ÂÙÌÏ: SCO OpenServer 5.0 & Oracle)

Hi!

> On 6 Jan 98 at 12:44, Oleg Vasilyev wrote:
>
> > Subject: [News] SCO OpenServer 5.0 & Oracle
> > ëÔÏ-ÎÉÂÕÄØ ÉÓÐÏÌØÚÕÅÔ ÔÁËÕÀ ÓÌÁÄËÕÀ ÐÁÒÏÞËÕ?
>
> íÙ ÐÅÒÅÎÅÓÌÉ SCOÔÓËÉÊ Oracle 7.3.3 ÎÁ FreeBSD 2.2.5.
> ÷ ÄÁÎÎÙÊ ÍÏÍÅÎÔ ÐÒÏÉÓÈÏÄÉÔ ÔÅÓÔÏ×ÁÑ ÜËÓÐÌÕÁÔÁÃÉÑ.
> HÁ ÔÏÍ ÖÅ ÖÅÌÅÚÅ ÒÁÂÏÔÁÅÔ ÓÕÝÅÓÔ×ÅÎÎÏ ÂÙÓÔÒÅÅ.
>
> ðÉÛÉÔÅ, ÅÓÌÉ ËÏÍÕ ÉÎÔÅÒÅÓÎÏ...

éÎÔÅÒÅÓ ÐÒÏÑ×ÉÌÉ ÐÏ ËÒÁÊÎÅÊ ÍÅÒÅ 5 ÞÅÌÏ×ÅË.
éÔÁË, ÐÏÓÔÁÒÁÀÓØ ÎÉÞÅÇÏ ÎÅ ÚÁÂÙÔØ:

óÎÁÞÁÌÁ - ÚÁÞÅÍ ×cÅ ÜÔÏ ÂÙÌÏ ÎÕÖÎÏ:

1. íÙ ÂÏÒÏÌÉÓØ Ó ÎÅËÏÔÏÒÙÍÉ ÏÛÉÂËÁÍÉ ïÒÁËÌÁ 7.3.2 ÎÁ SCO, É ÏÔÞÁÑ×ÛÉÓØ
ÐÏÂÅÄÉÔØ ÜÔÉ ÂÁÇÉ ÒÅÛÉÌÉ ÐÏÐÒÏÂÏ×ÁÔØ ÐÅÒÅÎÅÓÔÉ ïÒÁËÌ ÎÁ FreeBSD.
HÅ ÐÏÍÏÇÌÏ. ëÁË ÏËÁÚÁÌÏÓØ æÒÑ ÏÄÉÎ × ÏÄÉÎ ×ÙÐÏÌÎÑÅÔ SCOÛÎÙÅ ÂÉÎÁÒÎÉËÉ
É ïÒÁËÌÏ×ÓËÉÅ ÂÁÇÉ ÏÎÁ ÔÏÖÅ "×ÙÐÏÌÎÑÅÔ". âÁÇ ÍÙ ÐÏÂÅÄÉÌÉ, ÐÒÏÁÐÇÒÅÊÄÉ×
ïÒÁËÌ ÄÏ 7.3.3, Á ÏÂÒÁÔÎÏ ÎÁ SCO ×ÏÚ×ÒÁÝÁÔØÓÑ ÎÅ ÚÁÈÏÔÅÌÏÓØ :-)

2. ñ ÕÖÅ ÕÓÔÁÌ ÓÍÏÔÒÅÔØ ËÁË ËÒÉ×ÑÔÓÑ |-\ ÆÉÚÉÏÎÏÍÉÉ ÍÏÉÈ ÚÎÁËÏÍÙÈ "ÇÕÒÕ"
ËÏÇÄÁ ÏÎÉ ÓÌÙÛÁÔ ÏÔ ÍÅÎÑ ÓÌÏ×Ï "SCO"

3. úÁÊÄÉÔÅ × ËÏÍÐØÀÔÅÒÎÙÊ ÏÔÄÅÌ ÂÏÌØÛÏÇÏ ËÎÉÖÎÏÇÏ ÍÁÇÁÚÉÎÁ. óÅÊÞÁÓ ÌÅÇËÏ
ÎÁÊÔÉ ÄÅÓÑÔÏË ËÎÉÇ ÐÏ ÒÁÚÎÙÍ ÀÎÉËÓÁÍ. HÏ ÎÅ ÐÒÏ SCO. åÓÌÉ "ÏÎÏ" ÔÁÍ
É ÕÐÏÍÉÎÁÅÔÓÑ, ÔÏ Ó ÏÔÔÅÎËÏÍ ÌÅÇËÏÊ ÂÒÅÚÇÌÉ×ÏÓÔÉ. íÎÅ ÐÒÏÓÔÏ
ÎÁÄÏÅÌ ÔÏÔ ÆÁËÔ, ÞÔÏ Ñ ÒÁÂÏÔÁÀ ÎÁ ËÁËÏÍ-ÔÏ "ÎÅÄÏ-ÀÎÉËÓÅ"

ðÅÒÅÎÏÓ ÂÙÌ ÏÓÕÝÅÓÔ×ÌÅÎ ÐÒÉ ÎÅÐÏÓÒÅÄÓÔ×ÅÎÎÏÍ ÕÞÁÓÔÉÉ ÓÐÅÃÉÁÌÉÓÔÏ×
ÐÏ FreeBSD: óÅÒÇÅÑ óÏÌÑÎÉËÁ <solik@atom.ru> É áÎÄÒÅÑ òÏÈÍÁÎÏ×Á
<andy@atom.ru>. ðÏÜÔÏÍÕ ÚÁ ×ÓÅÍÉ ÀÎÉËÓÏ×ÙÍÉ ÐÏÄÒÏÂÎÏÓÔÑÍÉ, ÏÂÒÁÝÁÊÔÅÓØ
ÐÒÑÍÏ Ë ÎÉÍ.
ëÒÏÍÅ ÔÏÇÏ ÏÎÉ ÂÅÒÕÔÓÑ ÐÏÍÏÞØ Ó FreeBSD-ÉÚÁÃÉÅÊ ïÒÁËÌÁ ÖÅÌÁÀÝÉÍ
× ÍÏÓËÏ×ÓËÏÍ ÒÅÇÉÏÎÅ. òÅËÏÍÅÎÄÕÀ.

úÁ ÏÓÎÏ×Õ ÂÙÌÉ ×ÚÑÔÙ ÉÎÓÔÒÕËÃÉÉ ÉÚ ÐÉÓÅÍ, ÎÁÊÄÅÎÙÈ ÎÁ www.FreeBSD.com.
(ÐÒÉ×ÅÄÅÎÙ × ÐÒÉÌÏÖÅÎÉÉ 1 É ÐÒÉÌÏÖÅÎÉÉ 2 Ë ÐÉÓØÍÕ).

HÁ æÒÅ ÚÁ×ÅÌÉ ÏÒËÁÌÏ×ÓËÏÇÏ ÀÚÅÒÁ oracle7 É ÇÒÕÐÐÕ dba
ãÅÌÉËÏÍ ÕÐÁËÏ×ÁÌÉ É ÐÅÒÅÔÁÝÉÌÉ ÎÁ æÒÀ (~85 ÍÂ) :
/usr/oracle7/*
/etc/*.ora
/etc/ora*

ðÏÓÌÅ ÜÔÏÇÏ ÕÖÅ ÍÏÖÎÏ ÒÁÂÏÔÁÔØ Ó ÂÁÚÏÊ ÄÁÎÎÙÈ ×ÎÕÔÒÅÎÎÉÍÉ ÓÒÅÄÓÔ×ÁÍÉ
svrmgrl É sqlplus.

äÌÑ ÔÏÇÏ, ÞÔÏÂÙ ÆÕÎËÃÉÏÎÉÒÏ×ÁÌ SQL*NET ÂÙÌÁ ÃÅÌÉËÏÍ ÐÅÒÅÔÁÝÅÎÁ
SCO ÄÉÒÅËÔÏÒÉÑ /usr/lib/* (ÂÅÚ ÐÏÄÄÉÒÅËÔÏÒÉÊ) ×Ï ÆÒÉÛÎÕÀ
/usr/compat/ibsc2/lib. é ÅÝÅ ÞÔÏ-ÔÏ ÎÁÓÔÒÏÉÌ óÏÌÉË <solik@atom.ru>,
Ñ × ÜÔÏÍ ÎÅ ÏÞÅÎØ ÂÏÌØÛÏÊ ÓÐÅÃÉÁÌÉÓÔ, ÔÁË ÞÔÏ ×ÏÐÒÏÓÙ - Ë ÎÅÍÕ.
åÝÅ × ÐÒÉÌÏÖÅÎÉÉ 3 ÐÒÉ×ÅÄÅÎ ÆÒÁÇÍÅÎÔ FAQ for FreeBSD 2.X ÎÁ ÜÔÕ ÔÅÍÕ.
óÏ×ÅÒÛÅÎÎÏ ÏÞÅ×ÉÄÎÏ, ÞÔÏ ÎÁÄÏ ÐÅÒÅÔÁÓËÉ×ÁÔØ ÎÅ ×ÓÅ lib-Ù,
ÎÏ Ñ ÎÅ ÒÁÚÂÉÒÁÌÓÑ.
ðÏÓÌÅ ÜÔÏÇÏ ÓÔÁÒÔÕÅÔ "lsnrctl start tcp_listener" É ×ÓÅ ÐÁÛÅÔ.

HÁ ÄÁÎÎÙÊ ÍÏÍÅÎÔ Hå ÒÁÂÏÔÁÀÔ:
1. Intelligent Agent ("lsnrctl dbsnmp_start")
2. Web Listener ("wlctl start 8000")
HÏ ÎÁÍ ÐÏËÁ ÜÔÏ É ÎÅ ÎÕÖÎÏ. ÷ÐÒÏÞÅÍ óÏÌÉË ÕÔ×ÅÒÖÄÁÅÔ, ÞÔÏ
ÚÁÓÔÁ×ÉÔØ ÜÔÏ ËÒÕÔÉÔØÓÑ ÎÅ ÓÏÓÔÁ×ÌÑÅÔ ÏÓÏÂÏÇÏ ÔÒÕÄÁ.

éÔÁË - ÐÒÅÄ×ÁÒÉÔÅÌØÎÏÅ ÔÅÓÔÉÒÏ×ÁÎÉÅ ÏËÏÎÞÅÎÏ, ÕÖÅ ÎÁÞÁÌÁÓØ
"ÐÒÏÍÙÛÌÅÎÎÁÑ" ÜËÓÐÌÕÁÔÁÃÉÑ. ðÏËÁ ÂÅÚ ÇÌÀËÏ×.
ëÌÉÅÎÔÙ Õ ÎÁÓ - PowerBuilder-Ï×ÓËÉÅ. þÅÒÅÚ ODBC ÔÏÖÅ ÒÁÂÏÔÁÅÔ.

ðÏ ÐÏ×ÏÄÕ ÏÂÅÝÁÎÎÙÈ ÓÕÍÁÓÛÅÄÛÉÈ ÓËÏÒÏÓÔÅÊ (× 7-10 ÒÁÚ ÂÙÓÔÒÅÅ,
ÞÅÍ ÎÁ SCO), ÓËÁÚÁÔØ ÎÉÞÅÇÏ ÎÅ ÍÏÇÕ, ÎÅ ÚÁÍÅÒÑÌ. HÏ ÔÏ, ÞÔÏ ×ÓÅ
ÐÁÛÅÔ ÂÙÓÔÒÅÅ - ÜÔÏ ÔÏÞÎÏ.
÷ÏÔ, ÞÔÏ ×ÐÅÞÁÔÌÉÌÏ: ÎÁ ÓÅÒ×ÅÒÅ Pentium 133/64 RAM -
ÓÏÚÄÁÎÉÅ ÂÁÚÙ ÎÁ 1.5 ÇÂ É ÚÁÇÒÕÚËÁ catalog.sql, catproc.sql
É catexp.sql ÚÁ×ÅÒÛÉÌÁÓØ × 10 ÍÉÎ. ñ ÔÏÞÎÏ ÎÅ ÐÏÍÎÀ ÓËÏÌØËÏ
Ó ÜÔÉÍ ×ÏÛËÁÌÁÓØ SCOÔÉÎÁ (ÎÁ ÔÏÍ ÖÅ ÖÅÌÅÚÅ), ÎÏ Ñ ÚÁ ÜÔÏ ×ÒÅÍÑ
ÕÓÐÅ×ÁÌ ÐÏÏÂÅÄÁÔØ É ÐÏÐÉÔØ ËÏÆÅ :-)

öÅÌÁÀ ×ÓÅÍ ÕÓÐÅÈÁ!

--
ðÁ×ÅÌ óÅ×ÅÒÏ×. óÉÓÔÅÍÎÙÊ ÁÄÍÉÎÉÓÔÒÁÔÏÒ.
http://severov.protres.ru/

------------------------------------------ ðòéìïöåHéå 1 -------------

Date: Thu, 30 Oct 1997 11:00:59 -0100 (GMT) From: Remy NONNENMACHER <remy@synx.com> To: Jonathan Chen <jonc@pinnacle.co.nz> Sender: owner-freebsd-questions@freebsd.org Subject: Re: Oracle On Free BSD

On Thu, 30 Oct 1997, Jonathan Chen wrote:

> On Fri, 8 Sep 1995, Irfan Akber wrote: > > [Note: your mail-setup is incorrect - you're mailing from very far in > the past!] > > > Hi, > > > > I was planning to run Oracle 7.0 on FreeBSD. Does FreeBSD support that, > > will I be able to run Oracle on it. Please reply as it is very important > > for me to find out. > > The people you really to ask is Oracle. To the best of my knowledge, > there isn't a native version of Oracle for FreeBSD; if there was a > large enough demand, perhaps.. >

No hope from the Oracle side. These guys are conducting technical works exactly like M$ : Really good DB engine, Networking written by brain-damaged monkeys and a bunch of useless add-ons only for occupying the field.

However, the 7.1.4.1.0 for SCO (the old one, statically linked) works fine (and about up to 10 time faster due to better buffering handling by FreeBSD).

Unfortunetly, you will need an old SCO (ODT is OK). Steps are :

- Install Oracle under SCO. This will link the Oracle kernel with all modules you requested to install. - Add an Oracle user under FreeBSD and copy the whole SCO tree under FreeBSD in the Oracle user's home. (To avoid problems, i put it under the same absolute directory but i don't think it's a problem if you change env vars). - su to oracle - dbstart

Enjoy !. (and wonder why SCO guys continue buying systems that takes 2-3 hours to install and handles half the cards handled by FreeBSD !!).

Ah, if you want to run that shit called SQL-Net, you will need to change the following in the FreeBSD ibcs2 (SCO and co) emulation :

sys/i386/ibcs2/ibcs2_ioctl.c :

around line 654 :

case IBCS2_FIONREAD: /* STREAMS */ case IBCS2_I_NREAD: /* STREAMS */ SCARG(uap, cmd) = FIONREAD; return ioctl(p, (struct ioctl_args *)uap, retval);

(Yes, Oracle netsucks, sometime, DO polling !!!).

------------------------------------------ ðòéìïöåHéå 2 -------------

Date: Thu, 30 Oct 1997 15:51:03 +0000 (GMT) From: Sergio Lenzi <lenzi@bsi.com.br> To: Jonathan Chen <jonc@pinnacle.co.nz> Sender: owner-freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG Subject: Re: Oracle On Free BSD

On Thu, 30 Oct 1997, Jonathan Chen wrote:

> On Fri, 8 Sep 1995, Irfan Akber wrote: > > [Note: your mail-setup is incorrect - you're mailing from very far in > the past!] > > > Hi, > > > > I was planning to run Oracle 7.0 on FreeBSD. Does FreeBSD support that, > > will I be able to run Oracle on it. Please reply as it is very important > > for me to find out. > > The people you really to ask is Oracle. To the best of my knowledge, > there isn't a native version of Oracle for FreeBSD; if there was a > large enough demand, perhaps.. > > You could try running SCO version on FreeBSD, and see whether that > works. It works and very good. Indeed it is reported to be 7 times faster running o FreeBSD than SCO on the same DB on the Same Machine.

Just install Oracle on a SCO machine configure it and then transfer the whole thing to FreeBSD.

Sergio Lenzi

Unix Consult

Frequently Asked Questions for FreeBSD 2.X User Applications

6.4. When I run a SCO/iBCS2 application, it bombs on socksys.

You first need to edit the /etc/sysconfig (or /etc/rc.conf) file in the last section to change the following variable to YES: # Set to YES if you want ibcs2 (SCO) emulation loaded at startup ibcs2=NO

It will load the ibcs2 kernel module at startup. You'll then need to set up /compat/ibcs2/dev to look like: lrwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 9 Oct 15 22:20 X0R@ -> /dev/null lrwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 7 Oct 15 22:20 nfsd@ -> socksys -rw-rw-r-- 1 root wheel 0 Oct 28 12:02 null lrwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 9 Oct 15 22:20 socksys@ -> /dev/null crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 41, 1 Oct 15 22:14 spx

You just need socksys to go to /dev/null to fake the open & close. The code in -current will handle the rest. This is much cleaner than the way it was done before. If you want the spx driver for a local socket X connection, define SPX_HACK when you compile the system.

-- end of forwarded message --

--

Kittle